Friday, July 24, 2009

If You Were A GM...

If you were a GM of a contender, what moves, if any, would you make to try and get your team ready for the stretch run?

Here are mine: NOTE: Weakness is according to how I have evaluated the team.

AL East:

New York Yankees
Biggest Weakness: Bridging from starter to Mo.

Strategy: Hold pat. I would hope for a return to form from Chien Ming Wang to be my 5th starter down the stretch. I would also hope to make Phil Hughes a 2 inning set up guy for the stretch drive, as he has been one of the best relievers.

Boston Red Sox
Biggest Weakness: SS

Strategy: Hold pat. I think Jed Lowrie will play well enough down the stretch to at least get us into the wildcard. Done making moves.

Tampa Bay Rays
Biggest Weakness: Bullpen depth.

Strategy: The loss of Chad Bradford hurts my manager's ability to play matchups. I would inquire with the Cleveland Indians about Joe Smith, 25 years old, (holding RH's to a .220 average) and would offer a close to major league ready prospect that doesn't project as much (a Fernando Perez, Chris Nowak, John Jaso) or deal from my surplus of starting pitching prospects as part of a bigger deal including Kerry Wood and offer someone along the lines of a Alex Cobb or Nick Barnese in addition to my near major league ready prospect.

If that fails, I evaluate Ehren Wasserman, 28 years old, of the White Sox (holding AAA RH's to a .228 average) and offer a AA upside bat, such as Rashad Eldridge, a 27 year old who appears to be a good shot to be at least a 4th OF and looks to be able to play CF, a position of organizational need for the White Sox.

Yes, Bradford is only out for the supposed 15 days, but I believe Smith would be an obvious upgrade and Wasserman is a guy who can replace Bradford next season. Always wary of him staying completely healthy.

AL Central:
Detroit Tigers
Biggest Weakness: Corner Outfielder

Strategy: With Matt Holliday out of the market and Wilkin Ramirez having too high of K totals for me to expect him to help us, I evaluate names such as Luke Scott, Jack Cust and Josh Willingham. However, with us moving towards more of a defense oriented pitching squad, these acquisitions would be downgrades defensively. I would sit pat, especially with the return of Carlos Guillen.

Chicago White Sox
Biggest Weakness: 2nd Base.

Strategy: I evalute players such as Brian Roberts, Alberto Callaspo, Mark Ellis, Freddy Sanchez and Luis Castillo, but decide the prices would be too much and hope Getz and Nix can provide enough offense to get us to the playoffs.

Minnesota Twins
Biggest Weakness: 2nd Base and 3rd Base, relief depth.

Strategy: With those 2 gaping holes, I try to correct one of them and hope re-slotting our infielders does the trick. I agree with the current rumor going around, I would look to acquire Orlando Cabrera and Michael Wuertz from the A's. My package would consist of a young lefty pitcher that I personally like as a starter, Brian Duensing and would also include one of Rene Tosoni or Erik Lis. I would not be looking to pay much more then that, as Tosoni projects to a be a major league regular and Cabrera is a rental while Wuertz value is off-set by Duensing being a lefty who could start.

If that fails, I inquire with the Nats about getting Willie Harris, who can spot start at all those positions and should be a good fit for the turf, and Joe Beimel, who should slot well as a 2nd lefty. The package I give up for this would be much smaller though, likely around a starting prospect, Ryan Mullins (who is projectable, which the Nats love, I think he is destined for the pen) and High-A reliever Blair Erickson.

If that fails, I hold my assets and hope Alexi Casilla relearns how to play and that Brian Buscher/Nick Punto/Brendan Harris can keep us afloat at 3B.

AL West
Los Angeles Angels
Biggest Weakness: Starting pitching depth, another reliever

Strategy: I try and get in with the A's about Wuertz, but am not willing to pay a premium for an intra division deal. Doug Davis would be a terrible fit and Roy Halladay would be too expensive. We are familiar with Jon Garland, but the package we would offer likely wouldn't be enough, as if we liked him enough, we would have re-signed him. Sit pat and hope for Ervin Santana to bounce back.

Texas Rangers
Biggest Weakness: Another reliever, starting pitching depth.

Strategy: I inquire with the Mets about Sean Green, a reliever I am familiar with from his days at Seattle and has the groundball tendencies to be solid enough for us for years to come at this ballpark. He also stands to benefit from our infield defense. I offer someone along the lines of Joaquin Arias (who can fill their utility infielder role), Greg Golson (toolsy OF that we mis evaluated) or AAA reliever Brian Gordon (fly ball tendency wouldn't play well for us). I don't give up anyone who has a shot at being great (outside of Golson), but could be MLB ready for the Mets as they try and make a push next year.

If that fails, I pursue Diamondbacks reliever Chad Qualls, but offer a package that is closer to that of a mid level reliever and not a closer. They likely won't accept, but the package would be built around major league ready prospect Julio Borbon or Brandon Boggs. My offer would be Borbon, relief pitcher Thomas Diamond and relief pitcher Evan Reed for Qualls and Garland.

Seattle Mariners
Biggest Weakness: 3B and SS.

Strategy: I stand pat. No sense making a move when our brighter days are ahead of us. I do dangle guys out there, such as Russell Branyan, Erik Bedard and David Aardsma to see if I can get anyone to blow me away.

NL East
Philadelphia Phillies
Biggest Weakness: SP depth.

Strategy: I do it. I make the move everyone is saying they should. I offer the Blue Jays a package of Carlos Carrasco, Dominic Brown, Jason Donald and Joe Savery for Roy Halladay and Scott Downs. I tell them this is the best package you are going to get. We are not going to give up Drabek, but we will add in Savery. You get our best SS and OF prospect.

If that fails, I stand pat.

Atlanta Braves
Biggest Weakness: Power bat somewhere, Relief pitching depth

Strategy: I talk to Kansas City about Ron Mahay for Diory Hernandez. The Braves likely value Diory higher then I do though, so a more realistic offer would be Deunte Heath, who is more likely to turn into a reliever.

If that fails, I see if the Pirates would be interested in the same type of deal for either John Grabow or Evan Meek.

Florida Marlins
Biggest Weakness: Starting pitching depth.

Strategy: Monetary constraints. Standing pat.

NL Central
St. Louis Cardinals
Biggest Weakness: 3rd base.

Strategy: I used the last of my funds to get Matt Holliday.

Chicago Cubs
Biggest Weakness: Underperforming big contracts.

Strategy: I look to acquire another starting pitcher, but there aren't any power pitchers that would fit well. I hope Kevin Hart keeps pitching better then his peripherals until Ryan Dempster returns and hope the hitters start performing.

Milwaukee Brewers
Biggest Weakness: Starting pitching.

Strategy: I pursue Jon Garland and Doug Davis, but pulling off that deal earlier in the week for Felipe Lopez tells me that I can't get a deal done there. I then pull to a dark horse and offer the Athletics 2B prospect Drew Anderson for Justin Duchscherer. I don't want to pay anything higher due to him being such a wild card.

If that fails, I turn my attention to trying to extract Jarrod Washburn from Seattle and I let Jack Z take command of the negotiations since he knows the system so well and decide if that is a price I am willing to pay. I would think it would center around young 3B prospect Taylor Green and AAA utility infielder Hernan Iribarren, which I would reject.

Houston Astros
Biggest Weakness: Starting pitching depth.

Strategy: I stand pat. Can't thin out an already thin system

NL West
Los Angeles Dodgers
Biggest Weakness: SP depth.

Strategy: I offer the Blue Jays a package of Devaris Gordon, Xavier Paul, James McDonald, Pedro Baez and Alberto Bastardo for Halladay, Downs and Jeremy Accardo. If they reject this, I stand pat.

Colorado Rockies
Biggest Weakness: Reliever

Strategy: I stand pat after aquiring reliever Betancourt after not being able to get them to give away Kerry Wood.

San Francisco Giants
Biggest Weakness: Power Bat

Strategy: I stand pat. We may be able to compete, but I have visions of a rotation featuring Cain-Lincecum-Sanchez-Bumgarner-Alderson and will wait until these guys prove themselves until I mortgage the future for a hitter.

4 comments:

  1. As a Mariner fan I hate you. We have a great chance at the playoffs and you are just throwing the season away. If we trade Bedard there is no way we get the package we gave up back for him. I agree we need help at SS and 3B. I say we try to get a high OB guy like Luis Rodriguez from SD. We know that our pitching and defense has carried us thus far, so we don't need to break the bank to land a huge power hitter. We need to get Garrett Olsen the heck out of the rotation, so pick up an inexpensive 5th starter. I hate hannahan, so get him out of there and pick up another fill-in until Beltre is back, would be nice to have Willie Bloomquist still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olsen is a serviceable 5th starter in that park. Hannahan had a 2 HR day, come on...

    The team's future is bright and is Luis Rodriguez really an upgrade over Ronny Cedeno and Chris Woodward?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olson has killed us. His last two starts he has combined for 4 innings, 10 hits, 9 ER, 6 BB, 2 K's. He has yet to pitch over 6.1 innings in any start. He has just killed our bullpen. If we just get a servicable 5th starter that can atleast pitch into the 6th consistently then we'll make the playoffs. Just my opinion. And yes, Rodriguez is an upgrade. Rodriguez's career OBP is 30 points higher than Cedeno's, and I would say their range is similar. We just need guys that get on base to help out the little power we have at the top of the order.

    By the way, just so we're clear. If I was running the Mariners in real life I would be shopping Bedard, Branyan, Washburn, and Beltre. But as a fan I want to see us compete b/c I know there is an outside chance we make it. I don't think the Angels are that good and Texas always collapses in 2nd half.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, I also expect Texas to fall off a little, but think the Angels are for real.

    Guess that is why team's aren't run by fans. Jack Z is very smart as well and he knows what he is doing.

    ReplyDelete